Thought I would share another sweet recipe with you. I know too many sweets are not good for you but this recipe is actually a pretty good from a nutritional stand point. It is a wholesome energy packed bar that really does taste good. Enjoy!!
CRANBERRY DATE BARS
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place cranberries, dates and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until berries pop, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir in melted butter.
- Press half of the mixture into an ungreased 13×9-in. pan. Bake 8 minutes.
- Spoon cranberry mixture over crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; pat down gently. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle over top.