Ok this not about my weight. It’s about my flexibility and exercise. I did something today I have not been able to do since before I had my kids. I did the “wheel pose” also know as ” Chakra-asana” or “urdhva-dhanurasana” . I know it for those of you who are not familiar with yoga might not realize how big of a thing this is but when it has been at least 13 years since you could do it, IT IS!!! I am just so tickled!! I could not believe I was able to do it!! It made me realize that maybe after these 19 weeks of actually trying to get in shape, maybe it’s actually working 🙂
Here is a generic pic of The Wheel:
I will post one of myself when I get a little better.
Here are the steps if anyone would like to try it:
- Lie flat on the back in the shava-asana (corpse pose).
- While exhaling bend the knees and bring the feet as close to the buttocks as possible with the soles of the feet flat on the floor
- Bend the arms at the elbows and place the palms of the hands flat on the floor directly under each shoulder with the fingers pointing toward the back.
- While inhaling slowly, begin to raise the head, back and buttocks off the floor while arching the spine. Continue to press downward on the hands and feet while raising the hips and stomach as high as possible.
- Hold for the duration of the held inhaled breath. When you can’t hold the breath comfortable any longer, slowly exhale and return the back to the floor, slide the legs out straight returning to the shava-asana (corpse pose).
If you have never done this pose, please be careful going into due to the strenuous nature of this pose. Before doing this pose make sure you are warmed up because if you are not you will cause injury to yourself. Like with any yoga pose do not force yourself into this pose. As you do it more, your body will gradually develop the flexibility needed.